885 South Street
Roslindale, MA 02131
Telephone: (617) 469-7300
This 100-year-old building was originally the Longfellow Elementary School
and was vacant since 1989. Rogerson Communities transformed the building
into 44 attractive apartments for low-income elders and it opened in June
1999. Public transportation is available at the front entrance, and neighborhood
shops and restaurants are within walking distance.
The front yard of Longfellow House has been transformed
into The Roslindale Public Gardens at Longfellow House, providing beautiful,
useable outdoor space for residents and their neighbors. West Roxbury
resident Sally Muspratt designed the garden, which has three distinct
areas: a formal entrance garden facing Walter Street; raised community
gardens for residents and neighbors to plant together; and a shade garden
for quiet reading and reflection.
A revolving book collection is available to residents in the library, which also features Internet access. A community room with handicapped accessible kitchen is also available for use by residents and neighborhood organizations.
The site is just a few blocks from Roslindale House, and together, the two facilities bookend the re-emerging Roslindale Village.
- Built in 1897, Longfellow School was in continuous use as a school for 92 years
- Redevelopment of the building has preserved and enhanced many of its interesting exterior architectural features, including cast stone string courses, brick pilasters, stone cornices, elaborate brick and stone gabled dormers, a scrolled pediment over the entry and six-over-six sash windows.
>> Go back to the previous page.